Monday, July 14, 2014

Barefoot in the Backyard?


Dear Melissa,
When my kids run to the backyard, I often have to remind them to put on shoes. However recently I wondered if the sensory experience of warm grass on their feet on a summer day is actually an important right-of-passage for a child. What are your thoughts? 

Yay!  It’s Summer! Time for long leisurely evenings playing outside with the kiddos. But you bring up a very important question: Should we make them wear shoes, or not?  I personally LOVE the feeling of soft grass between my toes!  It’s a feeling I can’t get enough of.  In my mid-twenties I spent a year living in New York City. When I got back to Arkansas, I was most excited about walking barefoot in my own backyard!  But I too fall into the habit of always telling my children to put on their shoes when they go outside.  Should I do a double-take and tell them “Wait, it’s warm, go barefoot”?  

There are benefits to going barefoot which include:
1.  Allowing your feet to feel a variety of sensations: soft grass, prickly grass, smooth pebbly rocks, sand, etc... Your skin is your largest sense organ. Take advantage of it!
2. Going barefoot provides less support than a tennis shoe. This can cause the muscles of the foot to work harder and therefore become even stronger. 
3.  And, going barefoot just makes you feel good! 

However, as with everything in life, there are risks. Some precautions to consider:
1. Footwear is typically required by licensed childcare providers, so potential barefoot benefits will have to be limited to times when it can be safely supervised by parents.   
2. Survey the environment and avoid the following:
     a. areas that may be too hot, such as concrete or dark pavement surfaces
     b. areas with the potential for glass, metal or other sharp objects
     c. high-traffic areas that stay moist (danger for fungi and warts)
     d. areas with animal or human feces (danger for hookworm)
3.  If a child has decreased sensation in his/her feet or has feet that do not heal well (such as in diabetes), then the risks outweigh the potential benefits. 
4.  If your child has foot or walking problems, ask your physical therapist first to help you weigh the pros/cons of going barefoot.

What do you do if your child doesn't like to go barefoot?  
Many children with sensory sensitivities HATE going barefoot. These children are often irritated in other areas, such as the feel of clothing, food tastes and textures, and grooming tasks such as combing hair, brushing teeth, bathing, and clipping fingernails. Helping your child to enjoy the grass between his toes is a way to help him decrease his overall touch sensitivities. Here are a few ways to help your child “baby step” her way towards becoming comfortable on bare feet:
1. Take shoes off in the house. 
2. Expose her to different shoe styles.
3.  Gradually progress through outside surfaces - first smooth porch, then smooth driveway, then soft grass, then different textures of grass, etc.
4. If you don’t have access to a safe barefoot outdoor space, create one inside! Spread out different textures of rugs/mats, various blankets/quilts, or even bubble wrap!  This also makes  a great rainy day activity! 

Now if you will excuse me, I’m off to run barefoot in the yard with my kiddos!

Do you let your kiddos go barefoot outside?  I would love to hear your comments/concerns!

Resources: