Monday, May 18, 2015

Why we love our SLP's!


Dear Melissa,
Did you know that May is Better Hearing & Speech Month?  

Last month my "The Heart of an OT?" post inspired this question. So, this month it seemed appropriate to shed light on the work of pediatric Speech therapists, also known as pediatric Speech/Language Pathologists (SLP’s). For this, I turned to several members of our fabulous SLP team at Children's Therapy TEAM. They captured the "heart" of the discipline that is celebrating "BHSM", as our friends at the American Speech and Hearing Association like to refer to it. This is what they shared:

"There's nothing more rewarding than watching a parent see their child communicate with them for the first time. And that's just the beginning!" 
– Lynsey Decator

"Since I see a lot of babies and young children, I love the connection I get to make with the families. Parents that sit in on my sessions are eager to see their kids eat and be successful, and I love being part of that." 
– Connie Clark

"I have the coolest "office" ever, I laugh daily and get hugs frequently....and that cannot be beat! I think communication in any form is such a gift, and I love watching kids learn and grow. I also love that I can try to provide support and encouragement to parents as they navigate parenting along with special needs." 
– Amy Smith

"I love being able to give kids a way to communicate. It gives them some control in an environment that sometimes feels out of control for them. Even communication as simple as learning to point to make a choice, or learning to nod or shake your head for "yes/no" to make choices, is so powerful when you haven't had that control in your life." 
– Carmen Shumpert

"Kids have the need and the desire to learn. For me it's a cycle...I learn just as much from the kids on my caseload as they do from me. They keep me on my toes constantly. I enjoy being a positive and consistent role model in their lives. I assume when it comes to communicating that it's just one big or small puzzle that the kids and I are attempting to solve together. When the child is successful so am I. I also appreciate all the knowledge I gain from my fellow TEAM members." 
– Tabitha Mayberry

"I love being a speech therapist because I love helping kids and seeing them making progress toward their goals every week! Working with a diverse group of patients and diverse disorders is challenging to me. I love our clinic and how we are able to spend so much one-on-one time with each patient and their parents in order to provide the best treatment possible!"  
- Jill Goodwin

Speech Therapists help in more ways than you may think
When working with children, many people think that speech therapists simply work with stuttering, articulation problems, or with children who are not talking yet. But pediatric speech therapists do so much more! They also help children with eating, drinking and swallowing difficulties, conversational skills, social skills and understanding the meaning of language. 

The Last Word: Why I love my SLP’s!
As an occupational therapist working in a large multi-disciplinary pediatric team, I have the pleasure of frequently interacting with speech/language pathologists. I love my SLP’s because they are such fantastic collaborators and problem-solvers. My personal clientele includes many kiddos with speech delays which are contributing to frustration and ultimately behavior problems. I am so thankful to have a group of SLP’s that take the time to figure out the root of language delays and collaborate with fellow therapists, teachers, and the family to create a plan for communication improvement. This ultimately helps empower the child and contributes greatly to their peace and happiness. 


Why do you love speech therapists?  
What have they done to make a difference in your life or the life of your child?  
I would love to hear your stories!
email: share@childrenstherapyteam.com

Resources: