Monday, November 16, 2015

Inexpensive Sensory Toy Ideas


Dear Melissa,
Do you have any sensory toy ideas for things that are a bit more affordable?

OF COURSE! Some of the best sensory toys are some of the cheapest. Many are even found in the dollar section of your local Wal-Mart or Target store. Others can be found on Amazon. And yes, these are TOYS, not “therapy equipment” so they are fun for everyone, whether you have sensory processing disorder or not. (And really, don’t we all have a some degree of SPD at times??? I know I do!) Most of my picks below are in the $5 and under range and NOTHING is over $10. I will admit, I tried to limit myself to 10 items. However, I found so many great items that I had to finally stop myself at 12. This proves that you don’t need to break the bank to find some fantastic sensory toys!
Inexpensive Sensory Toy Ideas
1. Koosh balls: The classic. Enough said. 
2. Chew necklaces: OK, so this one is a bit more “therapy” than toy. But I know I personally am lost if I am not wearing a sturdy necklace to fidget with throughout the day. I specifically chose the chew necklaces below because they looked more “fun” rather than “therapeutic”. The idea is that the kiddo just gets a cool necklace in his stocking, and doesn’t realize that it is purposefully meant to be sturdy enough for fidgeting and chewing. Pick a shark tooth, kitty cat, dog tags, Legos…whatever floats your child’s boat! Simply search for “chew necklaces” on Amazon and find what your child will LOVE!
3. Slinky: This has quickly become a favorite in my sensory box at work. And I found mine in the dollar section at Target!
4. Silly putty or Theraputty (Amazon): Take this squishy goodness and add beads or pennies to create “hidden treasures”!

5. Water Wiggles: I love how kiddos gravitate toward these squishy things!
6. Water timers: The great thing about these little gems is that they can be used to help with timing brushing, etc, as well as being visually stim-a-rific!
7. Light up toys: This is another favorite in my sensory box. They also often come in a variety of cartoon characters and are often found in the dollar section at Target and Toys-R-Us.
8. Wind up toys: Yes, these wind up toys tend to be fragile, but they also work on fine motor skills as well. Win, Win!
9. Pin Art boards: These can be prickly or soft, depending on how you touch them. Double fun!
10. Etch-a-sketch: OK, I know this is a bit “old school” but my son just got one of these, and it has turned into hours of fun! It is the ultimate fidget toy between the twisty knobs and then shaking for erasing. Bonus? Our ½ sized Etch-a-sketch fits nicely in my purse so it works perfectly for restaurants and road trips.
11. Pop tubes: I will admit it. I don’t get the appeal of these guys. But my sensory kiddos just gravitate toward them! And, at a couple bucks a piece, I don’t really have to understand it!
12. Glitter wand tubes: These water and glitter filled tubes are definitely stim-a-rific. In our family they also double for pretend play as we regularly switch from fairy godmothers to Harry Potter characters. The fun is endless!
Disclaimer: The pictures above are simply examples. In this post I'm not reviewing the quality of actual brands. Feel free to read reviews and choose similar or alternate items. All product images in this post are those shared by Amazon.com.

For ideas for larger toys, checkout my Post on Christmas Gift Ideas for Children with Autism


Do you have a question you would like me to address? 
Please don't hesitate to share: www.share@childrenstherapyteam.com